Field Application Engineer
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, GrayMatter Robotics is an AI robotics company that empowers people with smart robot assistants designed for tedious and ergonomically challenging tasks. We bundle our AI software with off-the-shelf robots, sensors, and tools to create application-specific turnkey solutions for customers through a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) format.
We help manufacturers improve shop floor workers’ quality of life, increase production capacity, and reduce scrap, repair, and rework costs. As a Remote Field Application Engineer you will join our Customer Success Team to help customers with initial setup, training, and ongoing support for our products. The successful candidate will have experience in resolving software and hardware challenges in complex cyber-physical systems. Moreover, they will have effective communication skills to manage interactions with the customers and internal engineering teams.
Open positions are available in Gardena, CA, Cleveland, OH and Sarasota, FL.
Role & Responsibilities
As a Remote Field Application Engineer, you will be responsible for investigating, triaging, and troubleshooting complex issues affecting our customers along with collecting customer requirements & feedback, working with internal engineering teams to improve the product, and identifying new opportunities within the customer account.
- Before the work cell is deployed, work with the customer to learn about the manufacturing process, including observing the current process, taking measurements, CAD, and machine documentation
- Work with mechanical and robotics engineers to design the work cell layout for a specific task, keeping in mind the robot's reachability and cycle time
- Make any necessary design modifications on the robot end-of-arm-tool and part fixtures by working with mechanical engineers, and get parts fabricated, assembled, and tested.
- Be on-site when work cell is delivered and assist in unboxing, setup, and training on the use of the system
- Setup and test the work cell on the customer task which includes the ability to install, troubleshoot, and maintain control components such as proximity sensors, relays, and vacuum ejectors.
- Answer customer emails and phone calls on the use of the system.
- Respond to customer emails and calls on the use of the system, occasionally making service calls when issues cannot be resolved remotely
- Work with the product and engineering teams to improve both the customer experience as well as the Field Application Engineer experience.
- Monitor the live robots at customer sites and resolve technical issues
- Log descriptions of all tickets and document troubleshooting procedures
- Collaborate cross functionally with Robotics Software, Hardware, IT, and other teams on product deployments,Triage, and resolve complex technical issues related to customer deployments
- Provide superior customer service to all customers
- Deliver feedback to the engineering team and work with them to improve the efficiency of products
- Maintain flexible working hours that match the manufacturing production hours of customers
- 1-3+ years experience demonstrating hands-on Hardware/Software skills, experience with manufacturing automation or similar field
- Effective communication skills and strong interpersonal skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively
- Ability to communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing. Documentation is key.
- Ability to solve technical problems effectively, efficiently, and independently
- Willing to travel up to 75% of the time and work with customers at their sites
- Demonstrated proficiency working with Linux environments and remote support tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (or a related discipline), or equivalent professional experience
- Familiar with industrial facilities and equipment
- Basic experience with ROS, Python, and/or C++ coding
- Professional working proficiency in the French language
GrayMatter Robotics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage and embrace applicants of all backgrounds to apply!
GrayMatter Robotics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you believe you require accommodations during the recruiting process, please contact email@example.com to submit your request.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position includes the base salary range of $70,000-$95,000 USD plus equity. We also provide comprehensive benefits and perks which include but are not limited to unlimited PTO, 401(k) plan + employer match, regular offsite events, a discretionary fund for enhancing productivity and so much more! The range listed on job postings reflect the minimum and maximum new hire salary across levels and across locations in the United States.