Robotics Engineering Manager: Systems & Applications
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, GrayMatter Robotics is a well-capitalized AI robotics startup serving the manufacturing industry. We empower shop floor workers with our smart robots that assist with tedious and ergonomically challenging tasks, specifically in automated surface finishing. Our proprietary GMR-AI™ software is integrated with state-of-the-art industrial robots, sensors, and tools to create application-specific turnkey solutions for customers through a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) model.
We help manufacturers improve the quality of life for their workforce while increasing production capacity, and reducing scrap, repair, and rework costs. As a Systems & Applications Engineering Manager you will lead our Systems & Applications team onsite in our Gardena, CA office to develop, implement and deploy robotic systems for surface treatment applications.
Role & Responsibilities
As the Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the entire lifecycle of our engineering projects, ensuring their successful completion while maintaining high-quality standards.
- Technical Leadership
- Manage multiple teams of engineers and provide technical leadership and expertise to drive the growth and success of the team.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations, provide feedback, and identify training and development needs to build a highly skilled and motivated engineering team.
- Manage resource allocation, workload distribution, and project prioritization to ensure timely and successful project deliveries.
- Oversee the entire engineering project lifecycle, from concept and design to development, testing, and deployment, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality standards.
- Develop and maintain engineering best practices, processes and standards to ensure efficient and effective project execution.
- Proactively collaborate with cross-functional teams, including design & development, software engineering, project management and sales team.
- Develop and drive continuous improvement initiatives to optimize engineering processes, enhance product performance, and streamline development cycles.
- Customer Success
- Collaborate with external customers and stakeholders to understand their needs, address technical challenges, and ensure customer satisfaction with delivered solutions.
- Develop strategies to promote the adoption of robotic systems among customers, highlighting the benefits, cost-effectiveness, and increased efficiency.
- Collaborate with the sales team to prepare proposals, and conduct product demonstrations.
- Gather customer feedback and analyze market trends to identify areas for improvement and innovation in robotic system offerings.
- Oversee the activation and integration of robotic systems at customer sites, working closely with the implementation team.
- Coordinate system testing, calibration, and troubleshooting activities to ensure optimal system performance and reliability.
- Provide training and support to customers, enabling them to effectively operate and maintain the deployed robotic systems.
- BS/MS in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc. or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in engineering leadership, overseeing engineering teams and successfully delivering projects on time
- 10+ years of experience in cyber-physical systems, manufacturing automation, or similar
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire a team, build collaborative relationships, and communicate effectively across all organizational levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with quickly changing priorities
- Must secure work authorization in the United States and maintain ongoing work authorization beginning at the time of hire through the entirety of employment
- Basic programming knowledge in C++, Python, or other similar languages
- Familiar with industrial facilities and equipment
- Experience with 6DOF robots, FANUC robots or similar
- Familiarity with CAD, prototyping and assembly
- Experience with Ardunio, controls, SW/HW integration
GrayMatter Robotics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage and embrace applicants of all backgrounds to apply!
GrayMatter Robotics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you believe you require accommodations during the recruiting process, please contact email@example.com to submit your request.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position includes the base salary range of $135,000 - $160,000 USD plus equity. We also provide comprehensive benefits and perks which include but are not limited to unlimited PTO, 401(k) plan + employer match, regular offsite events, a discretionary fund for enhancing productivity and so much more! The range listed on job postings reflect the minimum and maximum new hire salary across levels in Los Angeles, CA.