Senior Site reliability Engineer
The site reliability engineering team at Pendo is responsible for provisioning and maintaining cloud infrastructure from development through production for all product initiatives, and working with developers and product managers to ensure that our products are not only reliable and performant, but also cost-efficient. Our platform is built on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) and utilizes several other Google technologies such as Memorystore, Cloud Datastore, PubSub, Cloud Functions, BigQuery, and Vertex AI, as well as services from other vendors such as Amazon SES.
In the development process, SREs provide developers with stable and performant CI and release pipelines and development environments to facilitate frequent delivery of new product features. In production, SREs perform Tier 1 on-call and incident management functions, supporting a high-throughput platform which processes more than 15 billion events per day. To ensure the reliability of this environment for our customers, SREs work closely with developers and product managers to understand service level objectives, think through failures scenarios, and design systems which balance cost with reliability objectives. Additionally, SREs collaborate with the Information Security team to ensure that cloud infrastructure is properly secured, and that sufficient controls are in place to meet our compliance goals with respect to industry standards such a
- Write high-quality infrastructure-as-code that automates the provisioning, deployment, scaling, and monitoring of Pendo’s infrastructure to ensure that it is reliable and performant
- Write maintainable code for product functionality with a primary emphasis on operations, scale, resiliency, and monitoring
- Work with other engineers to ensure that new services are well-designed, properly monitored and have well-defined SLIs and achievable SLOs
- Debug production issues, learn to mitigate them quickly, and find ways to prevent them
- Maintain runbooks for manual tasks and replace those runbooks with automation whenever possible
- Proactively track our capacity, quotas, and other performance limits to plan for growth
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation to handle product availability issues as well as urgent customer support escalations
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure using tools such as Ansible or Terraform
- Strong programming skills in a language such as Go or Python, and a willingness to learn new languages as needed
- Ability to think and talk about systems in terms of possible failure modes, bottlenecks, etc.
- Ability to write clear and concise English-language documentation of processes for incident runbooks and release processes
- Good number sense for discussing performance analysis, cost analysis, and operational metrics
- Experience designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting distributed systems
- Experience maintaining Kubernetes clusters in a production environment
- 2 years experience as a Site Reliability Engineer, DevOps Engineer, or similar role
Pendo was founded in 2013 by former product managers, who combined their heads and hearts to build something they wanted but never had as product managers -- a simple way to understand and attack what truly drives product success. Our mission is to improve society's experience with software.
Come join one of the fastest-growing startups, supported by best-in-class institutions like Battery Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Spark Capital and Meritech. You will gain experience in a diverse and exciting set of technologies and clients and have a real impact on Pendo's future. Our culture is passionate, dynamic, and fun.
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe having diverse teams where everyone brings their whole self to Pendo is key to our success. We welcome all people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Pendo is committed to working with, and providing access and reasonable accommodation to, applicants with mental and/or physical disabilities. If you think you may require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for accommodations are treated discreetly and confidentially, as practical and permitted by law.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide.
Individual pay rate decisions, including offers made within and over the expected salary range, are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.